Monday, November 9, 2009

Review: Bitter Night - Diana Pharaoh Francis


Bitter Night by Diana Pharaoh Frances

Publisher: Pocket Books
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 400
My Rating: 5 / 5

Summary: The ancient Guardians of the earth are preparing to unleash widespread destruction on the mortal world, and they want the witches to help them. If the witches refuse, their covens will be destroyed, including Horngate, the place Max has grudgingly come to think of as home. Max thinks she can find a way to help Horngate stand against the Guardians, but doing so will mean forging dangerous alliances -- including one with a rival witch's Shadowblade, who is as drawn to Max as she is to him -- and standing with the witch she despises. Max will have to choose between the old life she still dreams of and the warrior she has become, and take her place on the side of right -- if she survives long enough to figure out which side that is....

My Review: I finished this up yesterday but had to wait a whole day to calm down enough to write my review! If I had to sum up Bitter Night in one word it would be, magnificent! There is not a lot of sexual or romantic passages in Bitter Night but take my word for it, there are plenty enough thrills and twists that you wont miss it.

Max’s whole life changes on a drunken night and she is cast into a world she never dreamed existed. Now bound by a witch she thought was her friend, she has had to leave her entire world behind and start over in this new frightening and challenging world of witches, magic, and self survival.

Max is forced to do Giselle’s bidding and protect her for the sake of the entire coven. Although she hates Giselle enough to kill her she knows doing so would bring harm to all so she bides her time and does what she has to do to survive and keep her friends alive.

I must admit although I totally loved this book it took me a chapter or so to really get involved in it but once I became familiar with the characters and their powers, weaknesses, and place in the story, I hated to put it down! I really enjoyed the fact Diana made Max so strong and spirited instead of a lost little fraidy cat having to depend on a man to save the day. Max is my hero! I caught myself saying, “You Go Girl!” so many times while reading this book I lost count! I am afraid for Max though because I feel like her bitterness for Giselle is going to cloud her judgment and leave her and her Shadowblades open for trouble.

Review Copy provided by publisher.

To learn more about Diana and her other books she has a cool website HERE

Visit some of the other tour blogs for Bitter Night below:
Book Junkie
Debbie's World Of Books
Starting Fresh
Patrica's Vampire Notes
The Neverending Shelf
My Life In Not So Many Words
Booksie's Blog
Readaholic
Pick of the Literate
Temple Library Reviews
Eclectic Book Lover
Confessions of a Romance Book Addict
The Life & Lies of an Inanimate Flying Object
I Heart Book Gossip
Revenge of the Book Nerds
Jeann'es Ramblings
Fantasy Freak
Must Read Faster
Jen's Book Talk
The Bibliophilic Book Blog
My Adventures in Mommyland
Parajunkie's View
Crazy Books Reviews
The Book Tree

0 comments: