Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Review: auf Wiedersehen by Christa Holder Ocker


auf Wiedersehen by Christa Holder Ocker
Paperback: 146 pages
Publisher: Plain View Press (July 21, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 193551427X
ISBN-13: 978-1935514275
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: The tale of young Christa and her family as they leave a comfortable home to become penniless immigrants in their quest to survive the collapse of the Third Reich and flee the horrors that it has unleashed, opens up to universal themes of suffering, loss, love and hope.

I really didn't know what to expect when I began reading this book. I think I was most concerned thinking it would have lots of words I would not be able to recognize hence making it hard for me to capture the grace of what the author wanted us to know but my fears quickly went away as I began reading and although there were some foreign words to me I was easily able to understand what they meant and even felt happy that I not only was reading out of my usual genre but was learning new things in the process! I wanted to stretch myself and emerge from my little fantasy comfort zone and take a dive into some real life reading, so to speak, and I was not dissappointed at all!

Christa tells her story so beautifully and with so much real life emotion that is so easy to read and follow along as if I'm there with her and her family as they migrate to America working their way thru all the Russian checkpoints. So many times I was holding my breath as if the events were unfolding in this time and space.

What a wonderful journey Christa has shared with me.

Review Copy Provided By Author

Photobucket

0 comments: